Engineering and Manufacturing data has to be archived to enable businesses of all sizes to meet their legal and product liability obligations in the future. Theorem's long term archiving solutions enable you to do that using the STEP or JT data formats and to validate the data has been correctly created and stored.
Historically only 2D data has been archived in formats like Tiff and CGM or even using microfilm. Today's 3D data contains much richer content including dimensions and GD&T data and so can now be archived as a full representation of the data.
However, 3D CAD data is proprietary data so is not suitable for long term data archiving not just because the format is proprietary but the operating systems and hardware used to create and store it will become obsolete over time.
So neutral standards based formats such as STEP and JT are considered the safest formats for long term storage, however choosing a format and getting your proprietary data in to it is not a complete solution.
Automated validation and checking procedures need to be introduced in to the process at the point of archive otherwise corrupt or invalid legacy data can be stored so leading problems at the point of retrieval.
Theorem Solutions Long term Archiving Solutions can:
- Remove the cost of maintaining Legacy Data and Proprietary Systems
- Provide a solution to stop the problem of legacy data arising again
- Help maintain data for 35-50 years
- Integrate and automate validation and checking applications in to the process.
- Process and validate existing legacy data in to the chosen archive format
- Provide automated notification and support interactive review of corrupt or invalid data
- Define automated alternate solutions for data that fails the standard process. This may include changes to acceptance criteria
- Assist in the selection of archive format
- Provide STEP and JT translators